Within just a few days, the world as we know it has changed. We are all now understanding the reality of this disease, COVID-19, and are being forced to social distance and stay home whenever possible. Some of us have taken work to our living rooms, homeschooling our children, making 3 meals a day for an entire family, all while trying not to panic that either you or your loved one falls under the high-risk category.
We mustn’t forget about self-care. It is important for us to be in a good place mentally, emotionally and physically for ourselves and anyone else who may need us. It is also proven that staying active boosts our immune system, which we all need more than ever.
With so many workouts available online, there is no shortage of things to do from your own home or yard. Depending on what you like, here is a variety of ways to stay active while being stuck at home.
Back to the Basics
Calisthenics is probably the most underrated form of exercise. And it is great to do at home since no equipment is required. Also, anything cardio-related will strengthen your heart and your immune system! Try to do a routine of a certain amount of rounds and repetitions of moves like burpees, sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, squats. One of my favorite free apps for calisthenics is Madbarz. This will be sure to get your heart pumping and leave you feeling energized!
Take It Online
It is really wonderful how people are coming together during this time. Many gyms, fitness companies, and coaches are providing their clients and the public with free workouts. Here are a few to check out and this is a great time to try something new!
- BeachBody – They are offering a two-week trial to new members.
- Nike Training Club – This app is offering free workouts designed by trainers. It is available on both iOS and Android.
- Tone It Up – This fitness program for women is offering a free month for new users.
- Skyting – This yoga television is allowing new members one week free. Perfect time to try a different form of exercise, yes I’m talking to you powerlifters!
- Barre3 – This full-body workout will help you work on your cardio, build strength and leave you feeling refreshed and empowered. They are offering two weeks free.
- Comptrain – If you love CrossFit like me, this website is for you! They offer free workouts daily that are challenging and sure to humble us all!
Oftentimes, people think exercise has to be at a gym or running in a park but that is not the case! Doing a good thorough cleaning of your house (which we could all use right now), doing loads of laundry or cleaning out your closet is sure to burn some calories! Track your steps and calories burned on a device like Fitbit.
No matter what you do to stay active, it is vital for both our bodies and minds. Getting fresh air, vitamin D and keeping our bodies moving is key not only for our physical but our mental health as well. The fact that it boosts our immune systems, too, is a great perk!
What will you do to stay active during these uncertain times? Share and comment below, let’s all help each other!