This content originally appeared on TCOYD: Taking Control of Your Diabetes. Republished with permission.
By Chef Robert Lewis
You will find joy in serving this hearty dish. It’s rich in protein, packed with vegetables, and flavored with herbs.
Mediterranean Chicken of Love
Tender, juicy chicken infused with garlic and herbs is blended with tomatoes and beans for a rich and full-flavored nod to Greek cuisine.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 white button mushrooms (large, sliced)
- ½ red bell pepper (sliced)
- ½ green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 Roma tomato (diced)
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 5-6 stalks asparagus
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 8 oz skinless chicken (sliced, precooked )
- 10 black olives (pitted )
- 1 can white Italian beans (15 oz., drained)
- black pepper (to taste)
- ½ fresh lime
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and asparagus and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and garlic.
- Lower heat. Add vegetable broth, oregano, rosemary, basil, diced tomatoes, beans, olives, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cook over low heat until chicken is nice and hot.
- Season with pepper to taste and a squeeze of lime.